Monday, July 26, 2010

Running with a hangover

I'm not a lightweight by any means, but when your hanging out with good friends at a picnic on a hot and sticky Saturday night, you kind of forget about that 16 mile, 6am training run you told your friend you would be there for. Of course, said friend was also at the picnic and wasn't drinking. Damn him. I was home and in bed by 11pm though.

I managed to set my alarm for 5am and actucally woke up! Had my pre run toasted bagel and left to get to his house. I knock on his door, no answer. I text him, no answer. Sonofa... Sleep in on me will you? Hell no. I start blowing up his phone. He finally answers. In my most cheerful 6am voice I shout "Good morning! Great day for a run, isn't it? I'm outside waiting for you!" His response "grumble grumble mumble mumble, something else...... 10 minutes"

Luckly the newspaper was in the driveway so I had some reading material while I was waiting for him.

I didn't realize I had a hangover until we started running and the headache set in. I chugged 32oz of water before I went to bed then had 16oz when I woke up so the hangover wasn't as bad as it could have been. Still, it didn't feel good. It took about 3 miles for the headache to go away. Just in time for the sun to come up and beat down on us. Our water stops consisted of two gas stations where we bought gatorades, at mile 5, and again at mile 11. There were also two water fountains mixed in there around mile 13.5 and 15.5.

As promised, he even made me breakfast! Not his wife either! I made sure he washed his hands first. Nothing like french toast, sausage, and stage 19 of the Tour de France on a Sunday morning!

1 comment: