Monday, November 29, 2010

2nd Annual Sticks and Biscuits 5k

Wednesday night I check the weather forecast and it says "ran/snow mix" for Thursday. It's only a 5k, how could could it be?

Thursday morning the alarm went off at 6:15am. Get up, make some coffee, put some clothes on and I'm out the door to Palmyra, PA (next to Hershey) to run the 2nd annual Sticks and Biscuits 5k. I have no idea why it's named this except for the fact that it's a fundraiser for a youth hockey league. It was raining/sleeting at my house when I left around 7am but stopped as I drove east. Since our weather goes from west to easy, I knew it was only a matter of time before it would catch up.

I arrive around 7:30am, check in and get my tee shirt and timing chip. I opted to not have a glazed doughnut they were giving out but instead finished my coffee. About 20 minutes before race start the weather moved in.

The race started at 8:15am and was basically an out and back course through a neighborhood. Of course when the gun went off there were no mats so everyone's chip started at the same time. And... I forgot to start my GPS till about a minute in. I was wearing shorts and a tee shirt with my running gloves. There were an estimated 600 people so it wasn't a small race. I went out fast. It felt good considering I lifted weights the day before.

I couldn't even tell you my splits because my GPS was a little off. I probably hit the first mile in about 6:30. They didn't have another split on the course till mile 2.5 which the kid yelled out 15:42 I think. There were so many turns on the course I tried to run as many tangents as I could but with the out and back style, I was dodging other people after the turn around. I kicked it into the finish beating the two people I was jockeying with the entire race and saw 19:19 as I crossed the finish line. A new PR (although everyone I talked to after the race said it was short). I hung around for the awards and it was kinda unorganized. I waited about 45 minutes from the time I finished till some lady came into the ice rink and shouted out names and numbers for the age groups... not even finishing times. With a time of 19:19, I thought I had a podium. Nope. The winners got pie anyway. I already had some with my name on it at my Aunt's house.

I just checked the results on line and I was 10th in my age group with an official time of 19:21 (6:15/mile). I guess the good news is there were 75 people in my age group. An interesting side note... the guy that won the race was disqualified. He seemed like a ringer. The real winner had a time of 15:34. Crazy fast.

On other news, the new boy Orion is doing fantastic. My mother in law left us Thanksgiving morning to go back to her family in Pittsburgh. My wife is doing an amazing job as a new mom. He's only peed on me twice where I had to change shirts. Stupid Huggies diapers are GOING BACK TO TARGET! My mother in law is already planning on making the 4 hour drive this weekend to see him again. I knew she couldn't stay away long.

5 comments:

  1. 10/75?! awesome. love that.

    only peed on you twice. ONLY?! what the heck? oh and "huggies" suck. Kirkland [costco] rock. Just a FYI or is it "an fyi" I always thought "f" words should have "an" in front of them.

    no, I am not sressed out today.

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow

    (but thanks... i'll let the wife know)

    ReplyDelete
  3. 10 years of costco diapers here....listen to EMZ. Sounds like an awesome run and that is a FAST age group! sheesh!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Welcome to the 30-35 (or -40) age group :P

    I can't believe you didn't podium... and man I hate when they don't yell out times during awards. I wouldn't ever expect to hear my name but I'd sure like to know how fast people were!!

    Did you at least get biscuits? I'd be hella pissed if I did a race called STicks and Biscuits and there were no biscuits to be obtained. Just like I was angry when I went to Cracker Barrel the first time and there weren't bigass containers of crackers everywhere.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You ran 19:21 and didn't podium?? That is a crazy fast time! Wow!! I really wish I was that fast!

    ReplyDelete